I failed to mention in my last post that we’ve finally moved house! Actually, we moved in on the 12th June so we’ve been in a while now. We got the basics unpacked pretty quickly. It’s taking a bit longer to get the final boxes unpacked and, as expected, much longer to really make it our own. I’m really impatient to have it all done and everything to our taste. In reality, I know that it will take a while and I am enjoying the planning process…that is endless hours on the interweb looking at pictures of shelving and paint colours!!
We had a bit of overlap between this new house and our rental property which allowed us to clean the house extensively and get ET’s bedroom decorated. Mr Stepherella started off the decorating and my father-in-law finished off…White walls with one blue feature wall. He also very helpfully put up some shelves on the feature wall for us. We already had the cot-bed and purchased other furniture from Ikea, including a Rast chest of drawers. I had the tester pots of emulsion from when I was choosing colours and decided that these could be used to customise the chest of drawers.
Despite being the daughter of a builder, my DIY skills are limited and so google came to my rescue on how to use emulsion to paint wood! I found a tutorial (which I have been unable to locate again to share with you – I’ll update when I have some success!). Anyway, it’s fair to say I read the tutorial and then did my own thing anyway! I only painted the surfaces that were visible as we had already constructed the chest of drawers and used it before painting. Next time, I would definitely paint before construction – it would be much much easier and neater!
Each surface had two primer coats (emulsion diluted 1/3) and 3 top coats. The surfaces were sanded in between coats (except the primer coats) and after painting was complete. I then finished it with boiled linseed oil to seal it.
I’m pretty pleased with the result, although the linseed oil has made the white paint slightly yellow. I like how the grain in the wood still shows though and because the colours match what is on the wall it looks really great in ET’s room. Anyway, here is the finished product – see what you think.
Now I must get back to the sewing….a few too many unfinished items in the sewing box!